Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sawbones


Every day as I take my morning walk I listen to podcasts.  My interests range from history to folk music, from religion to geocaching.  Some of my favorite podacasts are, Stuff You Missed in History Class, A Way With Words, Voice of Prophecy, Fresh Folk, Podcacher: Geocaching Goodness, and Sawbones.  The most entertaining of all of the podcasts I listen to is Sawbones.

Sawbones is Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her husband Justin.  The show is, according to them, a marital tour of misguided medicine.  On the show they dig through the annals of medical history to uncover odd, weird, wrong, dumb and just plain gross ways we've tried to fix people over the years.


Some of my favorite topics in the last few months have been, Warts, Tuberculosis, Pregnancy Tests, Leprosy, Royal Rife, Teething, and Headaches.

The shows are very entertaining and keep me laughing as I listen to them. I love history and Sawbones is full of history but it is presented in a way that is anything but dry and boring.  Justin and Sydnee have fantastic chemistry, (you really get a sense of their relationship), and are a lot of fun to listen to.  I'm not sure how they do it but they can even make Cholera and the Black Plague funny.


If you are in the medical profession or are just interested in medicine or history I highly recommend that you give Sawbones a listen.  You will never view medicine quite the same way ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment