Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Smokey & the Mirror


Last Sunday I drove to Fayetteville to attend the Smokey & the Mirror Album Fundraiser Concert.  Smokey & the Mirror is the new musical project of Bryan and Bernice Hembree.


I first heard Bryan and Bernice when they came with the band 3 Penny Acre to my hometown here in Mena, Arkansas and gave a concert at The Ouachita Little Theater.  I went to the concert because my friend Richie Owens was opening for them and I was curious about the band because Bernice Hembree grew up here in Mena. I was blown away by how talented they were. Since then I have tried to attend as many of their concerts as I can, traveling as far as Oklahoma City and Shreveport to see them.


Smokey & the Mirror is in the studio this week working on their debut album.  At Sunday night's concert they played several new songs that I hadn't heard before that are going to be on the new album.  My favorite song of the evening was a new song, the first song that Bernice has ever written 100% herself. It was also the first time I have heard her play the piano.  Take a minute and listen for yourself.



I had a great time at the concert and took lots of photos.  Here are some of my favorites.





Keyboardist extraordinaire Daniel Walker sat in with Smokey & the Mirror.  He is recording with them this week as they lay down tracks for the new album.



John Elliot opened the show.  He is a very witty songwriter and and I really enjoyed his set.  His music just leaves you with a smile.



John joined the band for a few numbers and the chemistry was great. It is great to be at a concert where the performers are having such a good time.




As the concert came to an end, former band-mate Bayard Blain joined Smokey & the Mirror on stage. It was good to see them perform together.



I don't know when I have enjoyed a concert more. If you every have a chance to see Smokey & the Mirror in concert I would highly recommend it.

Here is some video of the concert.



No comments:

Post a Comment