Sunday, July 6, 2014

Zealot

This week the letter for the ABC Wednesday Meme is Z.  Z is for Zealot.  According to the dictionary, a zealot is a person who has very strong feelings about something (such as religion or politics) and who wants other people to have those feelings.
The online world seems to be full of zealots.  I really wonder if anyone's mind has ever been changed by hateful vitriol that they read on someones Facebook feed.  
I did not write the following words, but I fully agree with them.  I would love to give the original writer credit, but I don't know the source.
Dear Friends, Family, and Anyone Else I Know;
As we all know, there is a rather major election happening this year. I know, no matter how loud or quiet you are, you probably (definitely) have opinions. You probably lean more toward one political party than the other, more toward one candidate than the other, more toward one side than the other, just as I do. You have strongly held beliefs about certain issues, just as I do. One of the great things about living in this country is our ability–and right–to hold and VOTE our political conscience, for the things and people we believe in.

That being said.

As the election gets nearer, and the tempers get shorter, and the mud gets fling-ier, I want you to remember some things, please:

When you post on Facebook that someone is “Too stupid to breathe…” if they vote for X candidate–you could be talking about me.

When you write in your email that someone who votes for Y candidate is “UnAmerican”–you could be talking about me.

When you say that someone who believes that Z candidate has better policies should “be taken out back and shot”–you could be talking about me.

When you say that you hope everyone who votes for XYZ candidate “is rounded up” before the election–you could be talking about ME.

When you say/post/share ugly words, thoughts or pictures about people on the other side to support your political position–you could be talking about ME.
About ME, or someone like me that you know. Not just a random “them.” But someone you like, or love. Someone you may have known your whole life. Someone you may think is intelligent, articulate, well-spoken. Someone you may think is caring, kind, giving.
There is a PERSON behind the things you are saying. When you say that all liberals, or all conservatives…when you say that all Democrats or all Republicans…when you say that ALL of any group is/says/does/thinks/behaves/believes/hates/loves/etc., you are saying that about real people. Honest to goodness, flesh and blood people. Not just ideologies. Not just platforms. Not just issues. Not just politicians. Your friends. Your family. Your neighbors. Your coworkers.
Please, by all means, believe what you believe. Vote the way you want to vote. Engage in civil discussion about issues and platforms, if you want to. Advocate strongly for why you think what you think. Use reason to explain your position. These things? These make us better citizens, make us a better part of the political process. But when you start throwing those ugly words out, when you start sharing those ugly graphics, and those hateful quotes, and you point your finger at “THOSE PEOPLE” just remember…you could be talking about me. Someone you know. Someone you call friend, family, coworker.
And maybe that doesn't matter to you. Maybe it doesn't matter that you’re saying I’m stupid, unAmerican, deserve to be kicked out of the country, deserve to die, don’t have any compassion, don’t care about my fellow citizens, or am a moron. Maybe it doesn't bother you because you believe SO strongly that ALL people who believe opposite of you are SO wrong that you’re willing to forget the people behind those beliefs, that they are more than just their political opinions, more than just where they fall on an issue or what candidate they want to vote for.

But to me it does. Because when this political season is over, and the races have been decided, the non-stop political nonsense will die back down to a low boil. But you and I? We’ll still know each other. And I’ll know what you really think…of me.
The ABC Wednesday Meme is a fun way to see some great blogs.


7 comments:

  1. That about says it all.
    Perfect wise words for Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! NEXT round, I've already decided on ZEALOT! Yours was great.
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words indeed. There is a zealot in all of us unfortunately and it can be for anything under the sun.

    PhenoMenon,ABCW
    http://phenomenal-cuisines.throodalookingglass.com/2014/07/zing-on-the-tongue/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it's o.k. to be zealous in moderation about passions we may have, but a definite no-no when they get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a hundred percent why I don't engage in political discussions online anymore. And it's not like my angry cousin and I are going to settle the country's issues by arguing amongst ourselves on Facebook, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. King Herod, Hitler, Mussolini, Bin Laden, Sadam Hussein Gadaffi, et al were all zealots and we all know what happened to them..

    .I've always believed that moderation in thought word and deeds lend for a fairer society.
    Good post and interesting,
    Best wishes,
    Di x

    ReplyDelete